House Democrats are creating a plan in order to push against the exclusive release and public broadcast of Jan. 6 surveillance footage to Fox News host Tucker Carlson. The footage was promised to the host recently provided by Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).
According to a source the plan is now in its early stages. Democrats have stated that they did not believe that Carlson would not use the exclusive footage to present an inaccurate and partial version of the events that took place on Jan. 6, 2021.
House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) has said that the Democrats are now creating a plan on how they can counter any potential narrative that Carlson tries to build through his segments.
Reps. Bennie Thompson (Miss.), who led the House select committee formed to investigate Jan. 6, and Joe Morelle (N.Y.), a senior Democrat on the House Administration Committee have also been said to play a key part in the formulation of the plan. Jeffries said that the formal game plan is necessary as it “relates to this very serious and sober issue of the security and the well-being of people who work on the Capitol complex.”
It is still unclear what the plan will consist of.
Last week Axios reported that McCarthy had granted access to over 40,000 hours of footage from the Jan. 6 attack. Thomson was one of the first to criticize that decision and talk about the “potential security risks” associated with the footage being released.