(TruthAndLiberty.com) – On Tuesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) stated that he was hoping that the Department of Justice would not charge former President Donald Trump in connection to his attempts to overturn the 2020 presidential election results and stay in the White House.
In his first-ever sit-down interview with a major news outlet other than Fox, DeSantis told CNN’s Jake Tapper that he does not believe that it served the country for presidential candidates to be focusing on what had taken place four years ago. He added that he does not want to look back or to see Trump charged as he does not believe this would be in the country’s best interest.
He argued that he was going to keep looking forward. DeSantis’ remarks came several hours after Trump had revealed in a Truth Social post that on Sunday evening he had received a “target letter” from special counsel Jack Smith who is heading the investigation into Trump’s role in the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol attack.
In his post, Trump called Smith “deranged” and claimed that the letter had informed him he was the target of the investigation. He was also given 4 days to report before the Jan. 6 Grand Jury. Trump alleged that this letter was a clear indication that he was going to be indicted and arrested in connection to this case.
DeSantis had also been asked to comment on Trump’s post earlier on Tuesday during a South Carolina campaign event. At the time he said that it is clear that Trump had been at the White House at the time of the attack and that while he should have acted “more forcefully” he did not commit a crime by remaining inactive.
Copyright 2023, TruthAndLiberty.com