Former Attorney General William Barr has said that the Department of Justice (DOJ) would probably have a strong case against former President Trump regarding the handling of classified materials improperly since he left office.
During an interview with John Roberts, Barr was asked whether there was any legitimate reason for the classified material to be in the possession of the former President.
Barr however said that there is no reason for classified documents to be taken away from the government. Barr, who had served under the Trump administration, said that he was “Skeptical” about whether the material was indeed declassified as the former President claims.
Barr said that it is highly unlikely that the material was indeed declassified, and that the President can’t just say that a number of boxes are declassified and have that be the case. He also called this an abuse of power and said that it shows recklessness.
The DOJ on Friday unsealed new documents regarding the classified material found in Trump’s personal office at Mar-a-Lago. The material was retrieved last month after a federal investigation into Trump’s house took place.
FBI agents reportedly found 43 empty folders that had a classified banner on them. These along with 28 other folders labeled “return to staff secretary/military aide,” were found in Trump’s personal office.
This has led to a lot of backlash from both Trump and his supporters. However, Barr has maintained that it is unprecedented for a former President to remove classified information.
Barr has been very critical of Trump ever since leaving office. He has also been vocally opposing Trump’s claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election.